Maria Kalman is an artist and a journalist. She has started a new form of news media called, "Illustrated Columns". Click here to read "Back to the Land". This illustrated column should spark conversation about the way the information is spread as well as the message about using organic food. It is a great tie in to our organic garden at school!
Use these questions for discussion:
- Is there anything surprising or humorous about this post?
- What does Kalman think has changed as America evolved from its original, agrarian society?
- What are the goals of the Edible Schoolyard project?
- Which is your favorite image in the post? Why? Why do you think she chose not to include any paintings or drawings in this post?
- How would you characterize Kalman’s style?
Want to have students create their own illustrated columns? Use this template to help them. You can easily post their illustrated columns on a wiki or a blog.
Or have them illustrate a news article that is already written by using this story board template.