Saturday, April 11, 2009

Speak up!


In Germany they came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
And I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came or the trade
unionists, and I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up
because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me,
and by that time
no one was left to speak up.

© 1945, Reverend Martin Niemoller.

Classroom Activites: Complete these sentences to think about what this poem means for you. Share your ideas with other students.

1. I have spoken up about

2. I have not spoken up about

3. People don't speak up sometimes because

4. I will speak up if

5. My friends will speak up when

6. We can speak up when

7. It is easier to speak up when

8. I will help others speak up if