Fast Facts About Grandparents
- The average age of first-time grandparents is 48.
- About one-third of American adults are grandparents.
- The United States has 70 million grandparents, and the total will be 80 million by 2010 as the Baby Boom generation of 76 million people (born between 1946 and 1964) become grandparents.
- The number of children living with and/or being cared for by their grandparents has increased by 30 percent over the last decade.
- More than 6 percent of America's children live with their grandparents today.
- America's grandparents spend more than $30 billion a year on their grandkids, double what was spent a decade ago.
- In the past 30 years, the number of great-grandparents actively involved in their great-grandchildren's lives has increased tenfold.